Thursday 28 February 2008

Grey Gardens (Maysles Brothers. 1975)


I don't think this film is exploitative (although many critics seem to think it is - apparently the cameraman has his nose up Young Edie's arse at some point...I think it was just an unfortunate angle and he happened to be behind her on the staircase, ho hum). I do think it's desperately sad and also very funny at times. Amongst the decaying grandeur, I think there's a serious point being made about the fluidity of human identity and the nature of love / dependency. It's quite Chekovian actually...these characters say they are going to leave and everything is going to change, but you know they never will and everything will stay the same. Apparently, it's being re-made as a feature film starring Drew Barrymore, which should be interesting and I'll defintiely go and see it.

No comments: